Tuesday, September 7, 2010

What a day!

It was quite the day today! My official due date was yesterday, and I was very excited to have my 40 week OB visit today. I couldn't wait to hear how I was progressing and when this baby was coming.

I should have known it would be a long visit when I got to the doctor's office and they had double booked my appointment. Forty minutes later, I was in an exam room and being told that I still wasn't dilated! At all! Besides that, the baby was ready and positioned perfectly. So we started talking about options for induction and when I could/should do it. I was told that I would have to come in the night before and receive a drug to help me dilate (which could take up to 12 hours), then I would be induced the next morning.

Okay... sounded easy enough. But then my doctor also wanted me to have a non-stress test done as I mentioned that she wasn't moving AS MUCH. Maybe I should have been more specific. She is always moving. So anything less is probably normal for most babies. So... she sent me across the hospital to have some tests run. Two hours later I managed to freak out my husband, worry my family that I was having the baby, have a very detailed ultrasound (which I loved!) and spent 20 minutes with monitors hooked up to my stomach. The conclusion: baby is fine and healthy. What a relief and thank heaven for insurance!

We did learn some fun things today:

#1- Our baby has hair! It was pointed out to me in the ultrasound and I was so excited!

#2- Our baby may not have inherited the "Platt Melon Head", as the ultrasound tech said it was normal for a baby at 40 week. Thank heaven!

#3- The baby is now weighing approximately 8 pounds, 9 ounces. Exactly my birth weight! Let's hope she doesn't get any bigger.

#4- She's as camera shy as her mother. She kept her little arm over her face the entire ultrasound!

#5- She'll have her mother's chubby cheeks (on her face). :) When you can see them from the ultrasound, you know they're "bad".

#6- This baby will either have a birth date of September 13th, or sooner.

#7- Last, but not least... she's the most adorable baby ever!!

There you have it. My oh-so-exciting day at Evergreen Hospital. We're so glad that she's healthy and that we get to meet her soon!

5 comments:

Brittany B said...

Glad everything is ok, and that she will have some chubby cheeks. They don't move quite as much towards the end because they are so squished. At least that's what I've experienced. Oh, and you will have a much easier time blogging once Isla comes' She will over take your blog.

Oyama Family said...

How fun, I loved ultrasounds too, a peek at the new person you're so excited to meet :) Good luck this week and next Monday! And, in my humble opinion, babies with chubby cheeks and hair are the BEST!...all of mine fit that description too;)

Paige said...

I am so excited for you Allison!! I can't wait to see your little girl. So glad to hear she is healthy and looking good! :) Hang in there...only a few more days!

Shannon said...

So glad she didn't get her dad's lack of hair. I can't wait to see her!!!

HILLARY said...

Love the update! That is so exciting!